Points of Interest
The “Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore” is the main church of Florence. “Il Duomo di Firenze”, as it is ordinarily called, was begun in 1296 in the Gothic style with the design of Arnolfo di Cambio and completed structurally in 1436 by Filippo Brunelleschi.
Also known as Pitti Palace is a vast, mainly Renaissance palace on the south side of the River Arno, close to the Ponte Vecchio. Originally town resicence of Luca Pitti, later chief residence of the Medici family.
Is a park in mid-16th-garden style, directly behind the Palazzo Pitti, that is home to a collection of sculptures dating from the 16th through the 18th centuries.
Piazza della Signoria
An L-shaped square in front of Palazzo Vecchio. It is the main point of the origin and history of the Florentine Republic. Until now it could maintains its reputation as the political focus of the city.
This Florentine piazza was designed by architect Giuseppe Poggi and built in 1869 on a hill just south of the historic center. Piazzale Michelangelo was built as a terrace with a panoramic view of the city.
The Uffizi Gallerie, (1560-1580) was originally meant to be an office for magistrates as well as judges, technicians and merchants of Florence. The top floor was turned into a private gallery for the pleasure of the Medici family, and their guests. Since 1865 it became a museum. The highlights are the famous “Madonna enthroned” by Giotto, the “Battle of San Romano” by Paolo Uccello, the double portrait by Piero della Francesca, “Federico da Montefeltro” and the “Birth of Venus” by Botticelli.
The Gallery of the Academy of Florence is an art museum. It is best known as the home of Michelangelo‘s sculpture David. It also has other sculptures by Michelangelo and a large collection of paintings by Florentine artists, mostly from the period 1300-1600.
Is a town hall of Florence. It overlooks the Piazza della Signoria with its copy of Michelangelo’s David statue as well as the gallery of statues in the adjacent Loggia dei Lanzi.